This recipe combines several breakfast casserole recipes, each of which are very tasty on their own, but like Voltron, combine to form something even more amazing. The bits of ham that look blackened are not burned, but in fact, are still chewy and delicious.
- Hash browns, or Potatoes O’Brien, or Frozen or Canned Potatoes
- Melted Butter
- Minced or Chopped Onion
- Minced or Chopped Garlic
- Shredded or Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese
- Shredded or Sliced Swiss Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3-4 Eggs
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Mustard Powder
- Diced Ham (cooked)
- If hash browns or potatoes are frozen, defrost them.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pat dry hash browns or potatoes with paper towels.
- Layer hash browns or potatoes into baking dish, to a height of about 1/3 of the dish.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are crispy and beginning to brown.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle garlic and onion on top of potatoes. I used fresh garlic chopped, rather than minced garlic from a jar. This provided much more flavor. I used a food processor to chop the onions fairly fine, but not super-minced.
- Beat 3-4 eggs (depending on size of dish) until smooth. Add cream and whip. Add salt, hot sauce, and mustard powder to taste. Whip until combined thoroughly.
- Pour egg & cream mixture into baking dish, ensuring even distribution. There should be enough of the mixture to just cover the potatoes.
- Layer Pepper Jack, Swiss, and Cheddar cheeses into dish. I use two layers of each, alternating between the three cheeses.
- Add diced ham to the top. Putting the ham on last lets the dish cook all the way through without burning the cheese. (The cheese would burn if it were on top.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Note that the photos below were taken from three different casserole dishes, so the size and shape varies. I have to make several batches whenever I make this casserole, because it’s so delicious we eat it very quickly.